The travel industry can be an enticing career path, but it’s not for everyone. We’ve compiled a list of our top pros and cons so you can find out if becoming a travel agent is right for you.
Let’s start with the basics
The travel industry as a whole is busier than ever. Things are booking out fast, and that’s a good thing! Travel’s return since the pandemic has been huge with bigger, bucket list trips being more popular than ever. Even with the rise of inflation, people are still prioritizing their vacations.
According to Allianz ” the importance of an annual vacation has never been higher,” and 2023 will mark the full recovery of international travel.
Nearly 90% of insured travel was for international travel marketing the first time the percentage matched that of pre-pandemic statistics. (SquareMouth)
The demand for travel is at an all-time high meaning that suppliers are able to charge a little more. This is helpful to travel agents, which you’ll read more about shortly.
The pros of becoming a travel agent
Now that we know a few quick facts about the travel industry in today’s market, let’s dive into all the reasons you would want to become a travel agent.
1. Consumers need travel agents
The landscape of travel is more complicated than ever, so more consumers are leaning on agents to help them book their trips.
2. Supply and demand
As we mentioned earlier, the demand for travel is increasing, and so is the price point. This means travel commissions are higher since travel, meaning you’ll get paid more.
3. Plenty of customers
There are plenty of customers out there looking for travel help. If you know how to attract people to your business, you’ll find that people are ready to book.
4. Hobbyists are leaving the industry
Travel agents that are thought of as “hobbyists” started exiting the market in recent years due to complications in the travel world post-pandemic. This opens up more opportunities for you to see more success in your business, as we’re sure you’re one of the aspiring (or already well-established!) agents remaining who truly has a passion for travel and helping others.
5. Building your business alongside your current career
The travel industry is perfectly set up as a career that you can build alongside another career. If you decide to, you can work toward your side hustle while growing your business. Over time, you’ll be able to grow to a point where you can transfer into working for your business full-time, a seriously rewarding experience.
The cons of the travel agent world
Now that you’re more familiar with some of the reasons you should become a travel, let’s discuss some potential reasons you might not want to.
1. Being a travel agent isn’t easy
Being a travel agent isn’t the same as the experience of booking a trip for yourself. You need to have the expertise and know who to book through, ensure that you have the right insurance, book transportation for your clients, and so much more.
2. You must be willing to learn
As a travel agent, you must be willing to learn. The travel industry requires different certification requirements to ensure you can best serve your clients. Whether you choose to go retouch a program like Careers on Vacation, or any other certification program, be sure to choose the program that feels aligned with your values and goals.
So, is becoming a travel agent for you?
Ask yourself the following questions to figure out if becoming a travel agent is right for you/
- Do you have a passion for travel? You need to be sure that you have a certain level of passion to be successful in the industry, it’s not just another “passive-income” stream.
- Are you willing to do the learning? Earning of a certification is essential for legalities and the confidence you’ll have in your business
- Are you willing to take on the learning and be patient with yourself? It can take months to see growth. Learning anything new is hard, so be honest with yourself about how you feel about this one.
- Are you going to treat this business like a business? If you’re looking for a type of business that will transform your life or allow you to go full-time, you need to treat it like a business. Be serious about the hours, learning, and investments you put in that will make your business better.
If you answered yes to all these questions, then you are READY.
So what do you say, are you ready to start your journey of becoming a travel agent?
Careers on Vacation is a certification program that allows you to learn and help you get results in your business faster. We know results matter, so don’t hesitate to apply